Executive Director – Position Summary
About the Position
The Executive Director will provide leadership to Maple Broadband; be responsible for developing strategy and risk management, in conjunction with the Executive Committee, and for implementing strategies and operation to oversee the successful implementation of Maple Broadband’s goal of establishing universal high speed, high quality, affordable broadband across all member towns.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated organizational leadership skills and has experience with broadband, telecommunications, or other utilities. This candidate must be a skilled communicator who understands grants and fund raising and can advance the organization’s visibility, lead the implementation of network services, maintain a sustainable financial strategy, actively manage strategic partnerships, and oversee construction contracts, grant management, and complex projects.
- Work with the Governing Board and Executive Committee to develop and execute strategic and operating plans to achieve Maple Broadband’s objectives.
- Work closely with the participating communities. Be responsible for ensuring high level of community and end user satisfaction.
- Oversee and manage contracted development and operations to ensure production efficiency, quality, service, and cost-effective management of resources.
- Ensure business and financial objectives are met by providing leadership and direction for all lines of business. Be responsible for detailed budget preparation in collaboration with Treasurer and CFO.
- Direct activities, directly or through delegation.
- Implement operating procedures to comply with evolving state and federal regulations.
- Interpret and implement objectives and directives adopted by the Governing Board.
- Serve as Maple Broadband’s liaison with regulatory agencies, legislative bodies, industry associations, and media as appropriate.
- Oversee and manage contracted services to ensure quality, efficiency, service, and cost-effective management of resources.
- Evaluate new business opportunities for continued development and expansion.
- Update Executive Committee on Maple Broadband’s financial status and operating issues as appropriate.
- Ability to cultivate and manage relationships with a wide range of people, including the Governing Board, Executive Committee, funding organizations, volunteers, donors, contractors, and external organizations.
- Strong experience initiating and overseeing multi-phase projects to completion, including experience leading, managing, and coordinating teams of multiple contractors.
- Experience in broadband, telecommunications, or utilities industries. Experience with fiber deployment is a plus. Startup experience preferred.
- Familiarity and comfort with technical and project management tools for planning, execution, procurement, and multi-million-dollar budgets.
- Ability to understand and ensure compliance with regulations and grant requirements.
- Ability to prepare and manage financial projections and budget, working in concert with the Treasurer and CFO.
- Proven strategic problem-solving skills in a changing business or regulatory environment.
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations.
- Availability to attend periodic evening committee and Governing Board meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree, or equivalent work experience required.
- Start Date: Immediate.
- Job Type: Contractor.
- Location: Work remotely. Flexible/work from home. Multiple locations and field work.. Visits and Zoom/Teams meetings with contractors to cultivate and maintain relationships are essential.
- Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
- Benefits: N/A (cost of benefits to be included in compensation).
- Schedule: Flexible hours, periodic evening availability, availability during outage conditions.
- Reports to: Executive Committee.